Posts Tagged January 27th 2013
Have You Stocked Up On Forever Stamps Yet?
Just a reminder that postage rates will increase this Sunday, January 27th. A summary of a few of the changes are detailed in the tables below – a more comprehensive listing can be found with the USPS at http://pe.usps.com/. Business mailing rates will be changing as well during this time. If you work with a business mail provider then they will be able to tell you your new rates and any applicable changes.
Forever stamps are a great way to help combat the rising cost of postage. The USPS has released a handful of new forever stamps in 2013 – a few of the new designs can be seen below. Plan ahead and don’t be caught off guard on Monday!
Increased 2013 Postage Rates – Effective January 27, 2013
Less than a year ago the USPS increased postage rates a penny and rates are going up again in 2013. Overall, prices will increase an average of 2.6 percent for each class of mail. The Postal Service filed new mailing service prices with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) in October 2012 and the changes were approved within the next month. By law, USPS cannot increase mailing service pricing no more than the rate of inflation, based on the Consumer Price Index. A completely self-supporting government enterprise, the U.S. Postal Service is the only delivery service that reaches every address in the nation. The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products, and services to fund its operations.
Highlights of the pricing changes include:
– First-class letters will increase one cent up to 46 cents
– First-class postcard will increase by one cent to 33 cents
– Flats will increase by two cents to 92 cents
– International first-class pricing will change to one flat rate of $1.10 to any destination in the world. The USPS has also introduced a new Forever stamp for international use, called the Global Forever stamp. This new stamp will always be sold at the price of a single-piece first class international stamp.
– Forever stamps also will still be available and can be used whenever they are needed, as they don’t have a denomination. Forever stamps will also increase to 46 cents.
Several new shipping services products will be available in January as well as increased pricing. New domestic retail pricing for Priority Mail Flat Rate products include:
– Small Box – $5.80
– Medium Box – $12.35
– Large Box – $16.85
– Regular Envelope – $5.60
– Legal Envelope – $5.75
– Padded Envelope – $5.95
Prices for other mailing services including Standard Mail, Periodicals, and other business class mail will also see price increases in a variety of categories. For more detailed pricing information from the USPS visit www.usps.com/prices. Still need more? Strahm also offers a Customer Resource Center containing up to date information regarding the January 27th rate increase and much more!