Direct Mail Is Still A Bargain!

USPS Rate Increase BUT Direct Mail Is Still A Bargain!

The USPS announced last week another postage rate increase. The cost of a one-ounce First Class stamp is going up to $0.46 per piece in January 2013.  The rates for business mail – automated presort mail – will also increase.

You may be thinking that using other channels such as email, texting, or another carrier such as FedEx or UPS could be the solution in the face of rising postage rates.

Not so quick. Direct mail is still a bargain and a great way to generate sales leads. Email boxes are flooded with offers and if you don’t know a prospect, this constitutes spamming. And the rate at which email recipients open and click through an offer continues to fall.

How can you get the most from your direct mail campaign? Remember the 40/40/20 rule. 40% of your chance of success will come from your audience, 40% from your call to action and offer, and 20% from your mail piece design (color, creative, etc).

Here are just a few tips for making an offer to your prospects:

  1. Free trial
  2. Free information – such as a white paper
  3. Free gift with order
  4. Free Sample (see a trend here with the freebies?)
  5. Conditional sale – send it now, bill me later
  6. Club offer – join the club and receive better deals
  7. Contests – prizes should tie back to your product or service
  8. Time limit – must respond within 30 days
  9. Free returns – return within 30 days for a full refund
  10. Discount

Tweaking direct mail lists can increase response rate, but take a look at varying offers and even packaging. What are your ideas for increasing response using the 40/40/20 rule?

Advertisements

, , , , ,

  1. Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: