USPS Guidelines For Flat Size Mailpieces

Designing for Automation Flats!

Last week we discussed designing letters and postcards for automation postage rates.  Below are guidelines for producing flat size mailpieces.

But first! What is the upside to creating automatable mailpieces?

Automation Benefits:

• Greater postage discount
  • Faster mail processing
  • Better, more consistent service

A flat is described as a rectangular and smooth piece of mail that is too big in at least one direction to be a letter.  The length of a flat size mailpiece is the longest dimension.  The height is the dimension perpendicular to the length.

Flats qualify for automation prices if they meet specific addressing, barcoding and design standards.  Remember that beginning January 28, 2013 your maipiece must use an Intelligent Mail Barcode to be eligible for automation postage discounts.

Designing for Automation Flats:

• Physical Characteristics
    • Minimum height is 5”
    • Maximum height is 12”
    • Minimum length is 6”
    • Maximum length is 15”
    • Minimum thickness is .009”
    • Maximum thickness ¾”
    • Weight limits
      • First Class not more than 13 ounces
      • Standard less than 16 ounces
  • In addition
    • Must meet specific flexibility standards
    • Must be uniformly thick so that any bumps, protrusions, or irregularities do not cause more than ¼” variance in thickness.
    • Must be rectangular in shape
  • Barcode Standards
    • Must be at least 1/8” from any edge on the address side of the mailpiece
    • Minimum clearance between the barcode and any information line above or below it within the address block must be at least 0.040” for POSTNET and 0.028” for an IMb (IMb is mandatory beginning January 28, 2012)
    • Window Envelopes and Address Labels
      • Minimum clearance between printing and any left or right edge of the window must be 1/8”
      • Minimum clearance between printing and top or bottom of the window must be 1/25”
  • Address Standards
    • Must be within top half of mailpiece
    • A vertical address may cross midpoint if it begins or ends within 1” of top edge (important for small flats)
    • Must be on same side as postage
    • Flats using the Intelligent Mail barcode may use 6 point type for address if it is printing in all capital letters
    • If  there is no Intelligent Mail barcode, minimum type size is 8 point.
  • Address Format

Sue Sample

ABC Company

123 Main Street

Anytown, MO  ZIP+4

• Address Tap Test (address readability through envelope window)
    • Mail using a window envelope must show complete address, with 1/8” clearance at top, bottom and both sides of window
    • Test address placement with two taps on bottom and two taps on each end – address should remain within window with 1/8” clear space
  • Print Contrast
    • Preference is dark type on light paper
    • Recommend light pastels or neutrals
    • Avoid dark, bright or black papers
    • Avoid dark fibers
    • Avoid bleed through

What steps will you take today to ensure your mail is automation compatible? Don’t lose out on reduced postage rates for automation mail!

If you have questions or need more information, please contact one of Strahm’s Customer Service Representatives.  They can be reached at custserv@strahm.com or (816) 756-2733.

Advertisements

, , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Mellisa Drab on June 22, 2012 - 10:10 am

Whats up! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the great data you have got here on this post. I will likely be coming again to your blog for more soon.

2. #3 by My Homepage on June 24, 2012 - 2:10 am

Greetings! This really is my very first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and let you know I genuinely enjoy reading by means of your weblog posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with exactly the same topics? Thank you so significantly! 82514

• #4 by strahmautomation on June 25, 2012 - 10:21 am

Thank you!

Try usps.com for all current USPS information. I also recommend industry resources such as Mail Sytems Management Association (www.msmanational.org) and Postal Customer Council (https://www.usps.com/business/local-pcc.htm).

As well there are some terrific groups on LinkedIn such as Mail Geeks, Postal Affairs in Direct Mail, and Direct Mail Group.

Good luck! I hope you will take advantage of all the great information available!

Kimberly

3. #5 by Ron tabata on June 25, 2012 - 10:17 pm

I love your fantastic web site. Just what I was searching for!
    Best regards, Ron

Visit my website: visit it here.

• #6 by strahmautomation on June 26, 2012 - 9:19 am

Thank you, Ron. I’m glad to hear we were able to provide information helpful to you.

Kimberly

4. #7 by ugg2me.com on July 6, 2012 - 8:57 am

Intriguing post. Positive that Ill come back here. Good function. 984181

• #8 by strahmautomation on July 6, 2012 - 9:56 am

Thank you. I’m glad to hear that you plan to come back!

Kimberly

5. #9 by Progettazione Centri Benessere on July 7, 2012 - 7:35 am

It can be difficult to write about this topic. I believe you did a fantastic job though! Thanks for this! 652425

• #10 by strahmautomation on July 11, 2012 - 8:47 am

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed the post.

Kimberly

• #11 by strahmautomation on July 17, 2012 - 8:37 am

Thank you! It can be a lot for people to absorb; we do our best to keep them informed.

Kimberly

• #12 by strahmautomation on July 20, 2012 - 8:46 am

Thank you so much! It is a lot to keep up with. We do our best to inform our readers.

Kimberly

6. #13 by visit agent's website on July 8, 2012 - 9:33 am

It is onerous to search out knowledgeable individuals on this subject, nonetheless you sound like you already know what you are talking about! Thanks 601742

• #14 by strahmautomation on July 11, 2012 - 8:55 am

Thank you. There is just so much information out there, sometimes it can be difficult to sort through. I’m glad you found what you were looking for on our little blog!

Kimberly

7. #15 by pomegranate blood pressure on July 14, 2012 - 8:36 pm

I love your useful post. topnotch work. I hope you write more. I will continue watching

• #16 by strahmautomation on July 16, 2012 - 10:32 am

I’m glad you found the post useful. I hope you do continue watching!

Kimberly