2012 USPS Mobile Barcode Promotion
The program stipulations are quite different from the promotion run in 2011. In 2012 the 2d barcode (or QR barcode as it is commonly known) must drive a recipient to one of two scenarios:
Barcode drives recipient to a personalized website (PURL)
- Web address must be unique for each recipient (email@example.com)
- Content of personalized web page must be unique to each recipient
- Content could be based on data such as previous purchases, age, location or other demographic data
This means that you can’t simply have the barcode drive the recipient to an informational or general marketing webpage, even if it includes an offer. You must create an individual, personalized landing page for each recipient.
Barcode drives recipient to make mobile purchase
- Product or service advertised in mailpiece must be available for purchase through recipient’s mobile device
- Webpage must include “shopping cart” feature to complete the purchase of the product or service.
- E-bill payment or scheduled payments (weekly, monthly, etc) are not eligible.
The program period runs July 1, 2012 through August 31, 2012. Registration begins May 1.
Eligible mail classes are presort and automation First Class letters/flats/postcards, Standard mail letters and flats, and Nonprofit Standard mail letters and flats. Automation mailpieces must contain an Intelligent Mail barcode (IMb).
The discount for this Mobile Barcode promotion is 2% of the eligible postage. The discount is calculated and applied at the time of mailing. The discount must be indicated at the time of mailing, discounts will not be rebated. You must be registered prior to mailing; registration will be found on the USPS Business Customer Gateway.
A hard copy sample of the mailpiece, showing placement of the mobile barcode, should be presented to the USPS acceptance clerk. Each mailpiece within a mailing must contain a mobile barcode, either on the outside of the mailpiece or within the envelope. The mailpiece must also show text near the barcode instructing the recipient to scan the barcode.
A 2% postage savings can be significant. Make sure you understand and follow all the rules and regulations for this promotion. If you have questions or need guidance to ensure your mailpiece qualifies, speak with your print/mail vendor and/or your local USPS representative.